Safely Store your Car in Manchester
You may be storing your car for a number of reasons – keeping it away from the biting winter frost and rain, an extended trip away from home or because you’re going overseas. No matter what the reason, you’ll want to make sure that your car is properly prepared for the time ahead. Here are our tips for choosing the right storage facilities for your car.
- Make sure that your car is stored somewhere clean and dry away from sunlight to prevent rusting and fading.
- Block off any ingress points to keep rodents away from your upholstery. Use mousetraps and the like to further protect your car.
- Clean your car thoroughly inside and out to prevent mould or mildew issues.
To ensure that your car will start when you return from your travels or on the first warm day on spring, you should:
- Use fresh fluids through the system before the car goes into storage, including oil and filter fluids, anti-freeze, brake fluid, power steering fluid and transmission fluid.
- Fill the tank with fuel.
- Disconnect the battery, remove from the vehicle, and possibly connect it to a trickle charger. This will prevent any battery acid leakage affecting the car.
- Make sure tyres are at the pressure suggested in the vehicle’s manual. You can rest the car on blocks to stop tyres flat-spotting.
- Disengage the parking brake – this may seem counterintuitive but will prevent it sticking to the drum and causing problems. Use a car stand or wheel blocks to prevent car rolling.
- You can declare your car off the road with a Statutory Off Road Notification if you are putting it in storage for more than 14 days.
Storebox offer secure vehicle storage in Manchester – speak to us today to arrange yours.